Friday, April 16, 2010

With the 9th pick in the 2010 NFL Draft, the Buffalo Bills select...











Look, I'm not going to pretend to be a draft expert. I could have easily read Mel Kiper's draft bible, googled mock drafts, watched ESPN 24/7, and have my version of the NFL combine with the homeless people in Central Park. I'm just not going to fool you. I've never been one to try and make myself into something that I'm not. With all that being said, I have absolutely no clue where the Bills are going with their first pick.

I've tried dissecting the reasons for them to pick or pass on Jimmy Clausen. I've written why I think they should go for a left tackle. Hell, I did a dam GM column, which they obviously decided not to read...such fools! The list goes on and on.

I'll tell you who I DON'T want the Bills to draft in the first round, that's CJ Spiller. I don't care if he looks like the reincarnation of Chris Johnson, who BTW, lead his team to an unspectacular 8-8 record last year. It's a foregone conclusion that you can find a running back late in the draft. I don't think I have to read you the list of accomplished backs that weren't first day picks.

The only time you can get away with drafting a running back that early is if your team is one or two players away from being a contender. The Bills aren't close to that. By the time the Bills get to contention, CJ Spiller will be a 4th year back, most likely going into his contract year. Even if the Bills trade Lynch, I really don't think they are stupid enough to draft someone that high, when they already have Fred Jackson.

Here's the bottom line kids; the Bills need to go out and find the best available player/athlete for every selection in this draft. If they think that Jimmy Clausen isn't a franchise quarterback, then don't pick him. Whatever you do, don't start reaching for guys. The Bills can't make mistakes from years past by reaching for guys like John McCargo and JP Losman. It's going to take years for this franchise to really get back on its feet, so don't try and force feed the needs. Oh, and don't draft guys like Tim Tebow because you're hoping to sell a bunch of jerseys and lure in corporate sponsors.

As for the big debate between Clausen or whatever left tackle is available, I've said it before, if the Bills believe Clausen can play in the NFL at a very high level, then you draft him. If not, go for the left tackle and just draft a quarterback next year or beyond the 2nd round. If all the prognosticators are saying that this year's crop of quarterbacks stink, then....ugh, this painful to say, just go with Trent Edwards, Brian Brohm, Ryan Fitzpatrick and TBD as your quarterbacks.

I KNOW, I KNOW! I've been saying for months that I'd rather gargle Drano than see Trent Edwards play again, but I'm not the franchise that decided to not go after a veteran quarterback. BTW, I'm still cool with trading for Jason Campbell.

It seems to be the rumor around the campfire that Clausen isn't ranked highly amongst the Bills brass. Mainly, because Chan Gailey doesn't want to coach someone who doesn't posses Ray Lucas or Kordell Stewart athleticism (sigh). BTW, if Clausen's biggest issues are maturity and ego; give me a break! You know how many immature people I ran into when I was 21? Too many. People grow up, and as long as Clausen's working hard to get better, he can be a jerk all he wants.

Now, if Clausen is a no go, then the Bills should go after a LT. However, it seems to be the consensus that all the stout left tackles are going to be gone by the 9th pick. Again, the Bills are in no position to go out and reach for a player. The Bills just have to pick the next best player available.

Since tackle and quarterback are off the board, I'd love it if the Bills tried to trade down. But for the sake of not pulling my hair out, I'd go with the selection of Derrick Morgan, outside linebacker, Georgia Tech. Makes all the sense in the world for that specific spot for the Bills.









First, it doesn't hurt that Morgan was recruited by Gailey. Hell, we all know that he loves to bring in guys that he's worked with in the past (KC Chiefs coaching staff).

Second, everyone talks about how the nose tackle is vital to the 3-4 defense, which is true. However, lets not forget the linebacking part of it. Hell, that's one of the reasons why most fans wanted the Bills to change to that particular defense.

As of now, the Bills may have some options at outside linebacker with Kelsay and Maybin, but neither have played a down at that position, and one happens to be in the twilight of his career. Morgan is a prototype outside rusher for a 3-4 defense. If Maybin rebounds from such an awful rookie year, the Bills may have a solid 1-2 punch at rushing the passer.

Lastly, you will be setting up your linebacking core for the next 10 years (if they aren't busts). Poz, Maybin and Morgan all are in their early 20's. So there you go, my prediction for the Bills 9th pick of the NFL draft will be Derrick Morgan. I'll talk second round and beyond sometime next week.

3 comments:

  1. I like your argument for Morgan. It makes a lot of sense. If they don't go LB what do you think about Dan Williams at DT with the #9 pick?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Williams seems like a reach at 9. If they like him, they should trade down and get an extra pick

    ReplyDelete