Monday, May 3, 2010

Michael Irvin has it right












I never thought I'd say this, but Michael Irvin is a role model. Now, hear me out. This has nothing to do with The Playmaker being a complete jackass. Irvin has decided to take it upon himself to make the #88 into the gold standard for the next heir apparent, top receiver on the Cowboys. This weekend, Irvin spoke to Dez Bryant, who will now be sporting the number 88, about the importance of having that jersey number. Irvin told the rookie that he took a lot of pride and responsibility in wearing Drew Pearson's former number. I guess that pride and responsibility was thrown out the window when Irvin was busted with blow and prostitutes.

Look, I'm not exactly a Michael Irvin fan. No, it's not because he was a jackass off the field. It's mostly due to him killing the Bills in the Super Bowls. However, I think that sort of philosophy would be such a cool concept for other teams to adopt. Having elite players bequest their jersey number to younger players would establish an even greater tradition.

How awesome would it be if Thurman Thomas decided to give CJ Spiller his old jersey number? Then you can have Spiller pass it down to his heir apparent. How about the "Next Jim Kelly" wearing the old number 12? How about Hasek giving up his #39 jersey to Ryan Miller? Now, I'm not asking for Adam Mair or Phil Hansen to pass down their heirlooms. I think we can just stick with hall of fame players. The passing of the baton is something that a franchise/player would be able to show a rookie what expectations are expected from him.

It would also make a specific number become the standard in excellence for what the position is suppose to be played at. Picture this ceremony: After Jim Kelly's last NFL game, the Bills do the standard honoring of him in the season opener. Kelly could present his jersey to whoever is suppose to be the next heir apparent. I don't know, wouldn't that ceremony sound sort of mesmerising? Instead of having tradition die with the Hall of Famer when he retires, why not let it live on?

Yes, I know. The way the Bills have been drafting over the years, the #12 would have been burned by now. Then you have the problem of some fans or even players not wanting those jerseys to be worn ever again. Plus, you know how superstitious athletes get when it comes their jersey numbers. God forbid they can't wear their dam high school number from Polk High. Then you could have the Joe Montana and Steve Young situation where both guys dreaded each other. Heck, what the hell would you do if the player stunk after getting Thurman's jersey? Hmmm...Maybe strip him of the number like they did the captaincy with Eric Lindros? OK, maybe this was a stupid idea on my part.

What do you think?

1 comment:

  1. Hello, I apologize for contacting you in this fashion, but I think you might be interested in submitting your site to my new sports directory…at thesportszone.org

    I'm assuming comments are moderated so when I click submit this post won't automatically appear on site, if it does, I again apologize.

    ReplyDelete