Monday, May 24, 2010

Trent Edwards says California knows how to party
















Well, for the first time in about 16 months, I'm now a fan of Trent Edwards. Yes, it will last until he checks down to Fred Jackson or gets hurt, but you have to give him credit for saying something that I'm sure a lot of the current Bills players were thinking: Shut up, Jim Kelly! I'm sorry, but I'm a little giddy.

I don't know what it is about Kelly that bugs me. I just find him to be someone that likes being heard in the public way too much. I think the fan base worship the ground he walks on as if he's the end all be all of Buffalo life. And is it just me or does the media constantly give him a pass for his statements? Sorry, but he should have been called out for endorsing Tim Tebow and saying that the Bills shouldn't draft a quarterback from California. The California comment was one of the stupidest quotes I've heard in years. However, because he's the great Jim Kelly, no one in the media can say anything. God forbid you can't get an exclusive interview with him about his thoughts on the team. As if I give a crap.

Maybe I'm overstating it, but it just seems like Kelly doesn't know when to walk away from the spotlight as the voice of the Bills. I mean, do you really think Kelly has a group ready to buy the Bills? Sorry, but I don't really buy that and I don't think Kelly would either. This is the same guy who keeps on saying that Ralph Wilson will do anything to win a Super Bowl, even though he has less than a 100 million dollar pay roll. What Trent Edwards said about Kelly's comments about quarterbacks from California was classic.

“It is definitely frustrating because I don’t know how much time Jim has spent in California. I love the state of California. Obviously, I am pretty biased towards where I grew up in, but it is a little bit naïve that he makes comments like that. It is frustrating because I feel like there are a ton of great quarterbacks out there that have played in the league for an extended amount of time. I mean we can go down the list right now. He unfortunately said some things that aren’t always the best things to say but I guess that is kind of the way that he is.”

Awesome. That was the greatest quote by a Bill since Bill Polian told the media to get the hell out of town. Everything that Edwards said was dead on. This once again proves my notion that a majority of the players in the locker room don't exactly see eye to eye with some of the old-school Bills.

Look, it has to be a little tough and annoying to hear Kelly and Thomas criticise the team and then walk into the locker room as if they own the place. I know most fans and reporters will say that the team doesn't care, but deep down inside, they must be sick of being trashed by the former greats. I have to say, I'm rooting more for Trent Edwards than I did a day ago.

3 comments:

  1. Pretty lame stance Joe, even though for the most part i agree with you about Jim Kelly shutting his trap (Thurman has a radio show during the season, how is he supposed to NOT call people out?)

    But being excited about Edwards because of such a trivial thing. Which has nothing to do with football is inane(inane is a word).

    We all know he can't play, so i won't be a fan of his. No one will if he sticks up for himself if he doesn't win conistently.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Joe From NYC

    Dan, I was kind of being sarcastic about looking forward to Edwards. Yes, he sucks and WILL probably not play well this year. However, in my view, I was happy that Kelly was told off for his stupid Edwards comments.

    ReplyDelete
  3. i'm just happy Edwards stepped out and said something, show's he can at least stand up a little.....now if he can just stand up on the field

    ReplyDelete