Monday, July 19, 2010

Just a quick Sabres rant
























Look, I'm not going to get into my hell bent rage against the Sabres front office. I've actually gone against my promise of July 7th being the day that I would kill the team for not making substantial changes. However, I'm still giving the team more time, AKA, I'm just not in the mindset of pouring out my guts into why this team doesn't care about winning the cup. I actually may save that for a podcast.

However, I'm here to add a little clarity on what is perceived by Sabres apologists, who act as if other Sabres fans that demand change are nothing more than toothless idiots that call the WGR whiner line daily. We all know the Sabres aren't going to sign a guy like Kovalchuk. We have come to the realization that any player that demands 7-8 million dollars a year will never be on this roster. So, don't come out and act as if we are demanding the team to burn money and put Tom Golisano's trust fund for his kid or Monica Seles in jeopardy.

I assure you, we are not. What bothers me is that there are moves that other teams are making that on the surface, seem to be a little one sided. Chicago gives up a bunch of their key contributors for prospects. Yes, I know, apologists will act as if these prospects are the lifeblood of each of these organizations, but if you can get a proven commodity in return, you make the deal. I know in Buffalo we act as if these kids that come from Portland or Rochester are the second coming to Tyler Myers or Daniel Briere, but that's not always the case.

(On a side note, are we like the only hockey market that looks more forward to prospects playing in Buffalo than any other fan base? I seriously doubt that Flyers and Rangers fans are sitting there and drooling about some 2nd round pick playing on the parent club)

Pretty much my rage is towards Simon Gagne. Here's a proven scorer, who has two 40-goal seasons on his resume, traded to Tampa Bay for a bag of pucks and a philly cheese steak. Yes, I know, apologists will mention that he's injury prone. Of course, that logic doesn't come into play when you're talking about the Sabres giving a raise to Tim Connolly...can you say contradiction?

Anyways, Gagne would have been perfect in Buffalo. He's great on the powerplay, has a ton of playoff experience and would be a legit rental (Unlike Torres and Moore) for the Sabres. I mean, god forbid the Sabres actually decided to go for the Stanley Cup for one year. I mean losing their 12th defenseman from "The System" would just jeopardize the space time continuum for the franchise.

Now, before you all send me the emails and comments about Gagne having a no-trade clause, let me put it to you this way: Now, I'm not a GM or a blogger that has the CBA and the bible of Darcy in my night table. I'm just a stupid blogger who wants the Sabres to win the Cup. Now, if that's my goal, I'm calling Philly and I would pretty much double what Tampa Bay was offering. I mean, that's how lame the deal was for Philly.

Now, if Gagne had a problem with coming to Buffalo, then I'd have Lindy Ruff, or Ryan Miller, or Brad Riter, or Luke Russert, or Jim Kelly call him and say that we are a great city that is aiming to win the cup. It's not like Gagne would have to stay in Buffalo for the next 10 years of his life. He's a free agent at the end of the year and I really don't think he'd be that dead set against coming here for 8 months. Maybe I'm wrong. But you know what, at least I would try. And that's all I want from the Sabres.

I don't need a 10-million dollar player. My expectations are small. I just want a player who can put the puck in the net 20-25 times a year and bring other intangibles to the team. I don't need a school lesson on small market economics to know that Gagne's contract would almost equal out to what Tallinder and Mair were making last year. Plus, the Sabres are going to have even more cap relief next year with Rivet and Connolly's contracts up (And I assure you, they are not coming back). Again, it's not about killing off guys that I don't like on this team, it's about getting better. The Sabres don't have too much money tied into the cap for next year and beyond.

Anyways, the majority of this rant was geared towards people who announce on facebook or twitter that they are sick of people who complain about the Sabres. I'm sorry kids, but the Sabres haven't gotten better and we have lived through too many summers where this team has coasted on trying to act as if Tyler Ennis or some dumb ass prospects are the key additions to this roster. I watched all 82 games last year and came away knowing that their success was NOT a team effort. It was mostly due to Ryan Miller bailing this team out. If it's a one man army, then you need to add more troops to the equation.

Rant over.

1 comment:

  1. I don't need a school lesson on small market economics...he says.
    How about a lesson on how small markets like Detroit (economically speaking) or Pittsburgh or Tampa Bay pulled it off?
    Darcy is clueless about winning a Cup because it isnt his job description, just sell tickets.

    ReplyDelete